The best websites/tools to make a CV/resume online
First Impression is the last impression. And Resume is the first picture of yours. It has to be appealing to make sure you have an upper hand among your peers. These days where competition is tough and nepotism/backdoor are very common, your resume is your first tool to secure the job. Use these tools to make an amazing resume or CV to get hired in your next job interview.
Difference Between CV and Resume and Covering Letter
There are 3 different terms coined in the job market.
Resume, CV, and Covering Letter. They have different meanings and you have to make sure where do you lie in them.
Resume: Written in brief, lists your key skills including your Experience and education. Trimmed to 1 page for freshers and 2 pages for first job switchers.
CV: A resume for an Experienced profile. A CV contains your previous project experiences and little of your academic background.
Covering Letter: This is a pitch you send to a recruiter for a specific job. Varies according to Job Description and need.
So this explains now, the difference between Resume, CV and Covering letter. Let us head towards the awesome tools to make Resume, CV and Covering Letter Online.
Types of Resume/ CV Formats
There are broadly 2 types of Resume/CVs available- Text, Visual
Presentation resume( Known are presume) are hybrid to Visual Resume and a Powerpoint presentation.
Visual Resume is today’s trend. Those conventional texts resume are going outdated (in most cases, but not all) with the rise of visuals.
Are Visual Resumes A Good Idea?
Since human mind reads, understands and remember visuals 60,000 times faster than texts. Infographics resume is definitely a good move to go for.
Also in Graphic Resume( or Infographic resume), you can highlight your key skills and other information in a better, creative.
Keeping the resume simple and short, yet effective.
Here is a short example, how Infographic Resume and CV house lots of information about you in very small space and yet looks appealing.
These visual resume/CVs gets more impressions as compared to conventional text ones. But both have their own Pros and Cons depending on the situation, stream, and quantity to choose from.
- More chances to get noticed
- Short and Precise, yet informative
- More descriptive in fewer words
- Provides More information in very less time
- Gets into the recruiter’s eyes due to visuals
- Shows your creativity, so makes you stand out of others
- Takes time and efforts to build
- May need some paid tools/services to make an outstanding visual Resume/CV if the individual is not skilled on graphics tools
- Revisions may not be easy if designed through outsourcing
Best Tools to Make Visual Resume
A Picture Says a Thousand Words- Neil Patel
Visual resume requires knowledge of some visual tools like Photoshop or similar editing software. You may or may not know these tools, but we have online tools for you to make a visual resume in few click without knowing any software.
1) VisualCV- Best Visual CV maker online
VisualCV is one of my favorite online tool to create visual CV. It has got a huge database of templates and designs that fit all types of requirements.
Whether you are looking for Visual resume for fresher or looking for a resume for an experienced profile, VisualCV has a readymade format available for you. There are more than 8000 resume samples to get inspired. You can make a visual resume for freshers, entry-level professionals, and experienced candidates using a template that suits you.
You can download visual cv format for your profile suitability and experience.
- Instantly share or download as PDF
- Create Multiple Resumes/CVs
- Powerful Knowledge center to increase your chances to outperform in interview
- Make resume/CV as per target country (10 countries)
- Build resume out of your LinkedIn profile
- Huge database of resume to get inspired. Over 9 major verticals to choose from
- Search resume by Job titles or Keywords. Easily discover which resume format is best for you
- 10 Visual resume templates to choose from in free version
- Available in 9 languages (En, Fr, De, Es, Pt, Zh, Ru, Ar, Tr)
- Powerful customer support team
- Self-service. For expert advice, you have to pay extra (although this is not required, VisualCV career resource is enough)
- No integrated Spell check (You can Check out these Free tools for improving grammar in English)
If you worry how much does visual CV cost? So it’s $0 for the Free plan about $12/mo with least 3 months buy. So it costs you about $36.
They have Cool Refund policy if you are not 100% satisfied by VisualCV PRO service
This is a very fair deal as this includes all the resource to land you at your dream job.
2) Kickresume- Best Resume and Covering Letter Maker
It’s a Freemium Resume and Cover Letter builder online. Kickresume users get hired by top-notch companies like Apple, P&G, Amazon, Adidas, PayPal and lots more.
Using Kickresume you can make a Resume, Covering-Letter, and a personal website easily within few minutes.
Show your presence in the digital world. Create a personal website on KickResume and get ready for a new job offer landing in your mailbox
- Create Visual resume and Covering Letter for free using KickResume free version
- Extremely Easy to use UI
- Create awesome Resume, Covering letter and website using KickResume Builder
- Templates approved by recruiters
- Grammar Check
- Job advisor to get you one easily
- Hundreds of articles, guides and resume samples in Help Centre
- Cloud service to access your resume from anywhere, anytime
- 24/7 Caring and lovely support team
- Flexible pricing options
- No LinkedIn profile import option
If you worry how much does visual resume cost, so it’s $0 for the Free Plan and about $8/mo or $ 23 for an annual PRO plan. This is a very nominal price, includes all premium services including a personal website.
3) Canva – Design an awesome Resume for free
Canva is basically a Visual graphics company. It lets you a hell lot of options in the visual-graphic stream that probably no other website can provide.
And when it comes to Visual Resume, Canva is a name that gets coined for the cool dashboard and features Canva brings at such a low cost.
- A cool tool to make a visual/text resume/CV. Easy to get you started
- Powerful gallery of images. Also, you can upload your own
- Readymade paid as well as free templates to get inspiration
- 9 different types of resume templates are available
- Free tool. For any paid features, pay only for the ones you use
- Make your resume in your way. Be it simple Visual resume or conventional text CV or Infographics CV.
- Lack of expertise touch. You may miss what a recruiter wants to see in your resume
- You may do the same mistake in canva, what you are already doing on current resumes
- No LinkedIn Import feature
- No Cover Letter builder option
In few easy steps, you can create a CV/Resume in canva, using the prebuilt Resume templates.
4) Vizualize.me- Visual Resume in One Click
It is a beautiful, simple and easy going Visual CV Maker online. Vizualize.me came into limelight when they won Toronto Startup Weekend award in 2011.
With one click, Vizualize.me turns your resume into a ravishing web-based infographic.
Vizualize.me imports your data from LinkedIn and creates a visual infographic resume out of that boring LinkedIn texts.
- Make your visual resume in less than one minute. I created one in less 10 seconds using my LinkedIn profile
- Simple, easy, fast, and customisable
- LinkedIn import feature to reduce your time in writing again
- Easily tweak headings, graphs, and other texts color. Comes with Unlimited color combinations
- Limited themes
- Free for web-based infographic resume. You need Vengage PRO for printing the resume
- No expert advice available
Hey, by the way. Don’t forget to check my resume on Vizualize.me. Click below to go to Vizualize.me.
You can checkout Vengage also, a service by Vizualize.me for making infographic CV/Resume online from scratch.
Not a free CV/Resume maker, but worth the time and investment. Fiverr is the hub of freelancers around the world.
Fiverr has some cheap options to get your Visual CV/Resume made online hassle free.
You just have to give them your LinkedIn profile, or some related data they will make a beautiful infographic CV out of it, in a professional manner. Also, you can avail free unlimited revision until you are 100% satisfied.
- Large number Expert freelancers to chose from
- Do it in your way, look, style, design
- Unlimited Revisions can be requested
- Pay the gig price, and sit back relax and see your work getting done
- 100% Satisfaction, or money back guarantee.
- Even more, options to choose from. Fiverr Freelancers can do almost anything for you
- Lead Time can be of average 2 days
- You need to pay extra if you require the job done in less time
So, all these were tools to make Visual resume/CV online. Below are tools to make conventional text resume/CV Online
Best Tools to Make Text Resume
A visual resume is good looking to eyes, but may not be effective for all industry. For few streams like Core Engineering, BA, Aviation, Etc Text resume still outperform over visual resume especially for resume without work experience added as the content is very less.
We have best Conventional CV/Resume builder tools online listed here. These tools are free or come with freemium plans for additional features.
1) LiveCareer- America’s #1 Resume Builder and Cover Letter Builder
LiveCareer is the USA’s number 1 resume and covering Letter Builder online. It includes experts curated sample phrases that make your resume/CV more professional.
LiveCareer is fast and easy resume builder to create the powerful, professional resume hiring managers are looking for. Create a professional Resume in 3 easy steps.
- Easy and fast Resume builder
- One Click design import
- Salary Calculator, Career Test. All at one dashboard
- Professional tips by real recruiters at every step
- Search Resume from a database of more than 1500 resume for inspiration
- LiveCareer professional, job-ready resume writing and reviewing service
- Download to PDF or MS Word, print or send directly
- Integrated job search, company review tool
- Huge resource on Best Interview tips to get you selected in next round
- Import LinkedIn feature is missing
- Free Version supports only .txt download. For PDF, Doc Rich Text, and web page files you need to upgrade
LiveCareer is Customer choice site award and has score 8.6/10 at Trust Pilot which is considered a very good score. If you are confused which resume format should I use? Then you should look at the Livecareer tips on resume format that gets job offers.
It is an easy going tool to create a resume online without sign up. You can create a beautiful resume online using this tool for free just by typing your responses in the box provided.
- Resumonk has a vast knowledgebase covering related articles
- Sample resume to choose from
- 4 Free ready Resume and CV templates to get started in minimal time, additional 17 in premium version
- Use Guest Account to make a resume/CV without Signing up
- Upon Sign up, you can make your resume Public for increased reach and impressions
- Cheap and Flexible Pricing
- Covering Letter requires PRO account (its way cheap by the way)
- We missed LinkedIn import
Here are few testimonials from Resumonk customers:
Annual Plan comes for $19. The best part with Resumonk is the Lifetime access Plan. You can get this plan at $59 one-time payment, And you can make resume for all your friends, family members and classmates for a small fee 😉
3) ResumeGenius- Creates your professional resume in 15 minutes
It is a fast and robust Resume/CV and Covering Letter making tool to land your next job.
More than 20 free cover letter downloads are available for inspiration. The best thing about Resume Genius is that they get each resume personally reviewed by a human since two heads are better than one.
- Extremely fast in getting the work done
- Applicant Tracking System Friendly prevents you from getting rejected by picky HR software
- 20+ HR-approved resume templates
- Mega library of related resources
- One Click export to Doc and PDF
- Member of Professional Association of Résumé Writers & Career Coaches
- No LinkedIn Import feature
- No existing résumé import feature
Creddle.io provides free resume building and free cover letter downloads.
It is fast and simple online builder to get the task done in few clicks.
- Fast and lucid.
- Résumés are both Websites and Paper résumés
- Make your CV look great with formatted, pre-made 10+ templates to get started
- One Click easy customisation and Headers reorder
- Make Covering Letter and CV/Resume on the same dashboard
- Easily clone copies for A/B Testing
- Web sharing and Embed options for more reach
- Can import data from LinkedIn, but firstly you have to save your LinkedIn profile as PDF
- Limited professional resource library
- No professional Resume proof-reading service
If you worry how much does text resume cost, so it’s $0 for the One resume and about $5 one time for 5 extra Resume copies. This is a very nominal price for text Résumé.
5) CV Maker
A List of Good Online Tools for CV/Resume makers is incomplete if CV Maker is not included in it.
- Available in more than 35 Major Languages
- Create multiple CVs, publish and maintain them for free
- Premium templates in beside the free ones
- Easily add custom plain sections to your CV
- Basic rich text editor
- Powerful FAQ to help you with the tool
- No expert support, No cover Letter option
- We missed Library of related support articles
So which resume service is best for you? Choose from above best free resume builder tools to get landed in your next, or the first job. We wish you all the best.
Chime us your thoughts in the comments section. We would love to hear them.